Monday, March 03, 2008

High Expectations

I went outside to mail something and noticed two guys sitting on a bench passing a joint between them. They said hello to me, and I greeted them back. I mailed my letter and came back that way. The guys asked me for a light. I said sure, but seriously worried that they were going to light up a fatty in front of me. They didn't. The one guy lit a menthol cigarette and gave me my lighter back, but he did say this, "You came back because you like the smell don't you?"

I shook my head and indicated the library entrance. "No, I work here."

"You work in the library?"

"Yep." I proceeded to go back inside.

"Hey, how late is the library open?"

"Until 10 o'clock."

"Cool. Hey, when does Spring Break start?"

"Today."

"Today? Oh man, you know there are some parties going on around here."

"You're probably right."

I went inside and called the cops.

Some of you may shake your head at me for calling the cops. I wondered if I should, but the more I wondered, the more I figured screw it--If they're going to be dumb enough to light up in a popular thoroughfare, then Darwin says they should get nabbed.

But I didn't figure the two potheads would come in while I was on the phone with the dispatcher. That was a fun turn of events.

I whispered, "Uh, they just came in."

"The suspects are in the library now?"

"Yeah."

"Do you feel threatened?"

Not yet, but if they hear me on the phone with you, the story might change.

"No, I don't."

"Do you want to stay on the line until the police arrive?"

I want to get off the phone so these guys don't get wise to me.

"No, there's no rush. I just think an officer might want to chat with them."

"Okay. There will be an officer out there shortly."

"Thanks."

And so I waited. I really regretted calling the cops now. I mean, the guys were right here. They were making high MySpace comments and being quiet. Not bad patrons. Why'd they have to smoke a joint practically under my nose?

When the officers arrived, they came to the back to speak to me. I confirmed which ones were the potheads, and the officers went to have a chat with the young men.

Eventually the officers came back to update me. I'd been hiding at my desk. I did not want to let these guys know I was the one who called the cops. I know that's cowardly, but I felt guilty. Yes, I felt guilty for calling the law on these guys. Smoking pot is not the end of the world, but it's not exactly kosher either. Dammit, I don't like feeling like the bad guy for doing what the law says is right.

The officers told me, "We don't have enough to arrest them. We've told them they have to behave while in the library or else we'll boot them off campus. They have no priors. We can only arrest them really if we catch them in the act. We told them we received a call from Y Hall of some pot smokers matching their description to give you a little buffer. Let us know if they act up and we'll come back out to issue a trespass warrant."

I was really relieved they hadn't said I'd called. The cops lied for me. That's good service.

Only thing is, the potheads are still here. I'd think after chatting with the cops they'd leave, but nope, they're still high MySpace posting, and I really want a cig. Is this their revenge? Are they going to hang around until closing and keep me hostage at my desk? Sneaky high bastards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well looky here, it seems someone has finally figured out why libraries appeal to vampires.

"LOOK! The pasty white skin - they never go out in the sun! The heavily diffused lighting which gives them a reason for not having a shadow. There's NEVER a mirror in a library... AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SEE IT?"

Found via Librarian.net

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a time not too long ago when I would have asked them to hook me up, but these days pharmaceuticals are easier to get than street drugs, not to mention perfectly legal... This way, Uncle Sam gets his tax money, big pharma makes its shareholders a tidy profit, and everyone is apathetic towards the symbiosis.

11:13 PM, March 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering the guilt trip you gave yourself, I can't help but wonder why call. I mean, it seems it was one of those things that in the great scheme of things, you could have just walked away. It's not like they were really doing anything (other than getting high, and I am sure they could win a Darwin without the cops' help). But, in the end, your decision. I probably would have let it slip. Que sera.

9:28 AM, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Gardenbuzzy said...

Good for you, VL! The law's the law and they were breaking it right in front of you. But I would have hid at my desk as well. You never know what people will do these days, especially if they think they've been ratted out. They never put it down to their own actions, doing something they're not supposed to be doing.

12:31 PM, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

The thing is they were right outside the library. Anyone coming or going had to pass by them. It irked me. But now I know that there's no point calling the cops. They can't do anything without catching them in the act and calling the police and waiting for them to come over takes too long.

One other worry was that they'd start hanging out regularly and smoking up at our entrance. That wouldn't have gone over well with the bosses.

5:25 PM, March 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might have pointed out to them that where they were doing what they were doing wasn't too bright and could draw all kinds of attention that wouldn't really be cool for anyone... But I wouldn't have called the cops. For one thing the last thing our criminal justice system needs is another pothead clogging up the works. I look at that the same was as I would a noisy neighbor after hours... Excessive noise after a certain time is also against the law, but before I call the heat I would first ask them (nicely) to settle the f&@k down. But that's just me.

6:09 PM, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Sorry librarianwoes, but I'm not about to go up to someone doing drugs and tell them to stop. I didn't know these guys, and I didn't know how they'd react. Turns out the cop came back by and told me one guy does have a history with violent bad stuff in it.

That's another reason I called the cops. A bunch of the undesirables turn out to have outstanding warrants on them.

6:49 PM, March 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Surrounded by those with outstanding warrants is the story of my life these days. I can't even move through my Library without falling over an excon or someone who really should be in a psychiatric hospital, so a little weed doesn't even phase me. To even give it a second thought at this point, I'd have to see someone with a needle in his or her arm... And we've seen that before too! ;-)

12:13 AM, March 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in a place where people walk down the main street sharing a joint. Where people grow the odd plant in their window - and I don't mean tomatoes. I once had someone from back east say how quaint we were since everyone drank beer and smoked pot rather than doing coke and heroin. I'm going to guess that since the Grad class of '68 place the memorial bench (6 members of their class died grad weekend in a drunk driving accident) in front of out library about half the population has smoked a joint there.

2:02 AM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Reading everyone's comments and distance for the incident has mellowed me out a lot. (Heh.) If smoking pot weren't illegal, I wouldn't have minded it.

I don't have a problem with people wanting to legalize pot, as long as safeguards are in place like with alcohol. I think my surprise spurred my actions more than anything. I guess University Z is still pretty straight laced for the most part. I may have over reacted.

3:06 AM, March 07, 2008  
Blogger JamiSings said...

I would've called. But then again I had to live through two older brothers and their addictions - one to drugs, one to alcohol and drugs. It was Hades on earth. And the one's drug of choice was pot - he would get SO VIOLENT a few hours after smoking it when it was working it's way out of his system. The doctors think it has something to do with him being epileptic as a kid, the pot was triggering mini-seizures that in turn effected his personality badly. So I'm very anti-pot and anti-drug abuse. No need to feel guilty. They broke the law. They deserve to pay. Heck, they're lucky I wasn't there cause I would've been screaming bloody murder and attracting all sorts of attention to them to make sure they got arrested!

5:44 PM, June 20, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Wow, Jamisings. That's rough. All I can say about the serious pot smokers I've known is that they have absolutely no short term memory.

Hope your brother got better.

7:33 PM, June 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home