Sunday, January 27, 2008

ARG!

Committed a classic student mistake tonight.

I emailed a document to myself, worked diligently on it for four hours, saving regularly by clicking the save button, closed the document and then realized, I have just lost it.

I hate that. I hate, hate, hate that.

I should've known better. Never rely on emailed documents. Stupid temp files are not dependable. And Word doesn't care that it's saving to a temp file. It'll save and save, and not alert you to the fact that when you close the document, the temp file will delete itself. That's right. It deletes itself. Why does Word not alert you to this? I guess it can't really tell, but come on! There should be some sort of programing possible that will prompt a user to designate the file location and what not. It does it when you create a new document. Why not with a temp file?

ARG!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer.

7:31 AM, January 28, 2008  
Blogger A'Llyn said...

Argh, the pain! I have done that too, and it's beyond frustrating. Condolences.

11:37 AM, January 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two words google documents
very useful

12:57 PM, January 28, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Anon, thanks for the tip, but it's my own momentary stupidity that did me in. I'd actually saved the file to a central server as well as emailing it to myslef, but I accessed and modified the email doc instead of the network file. I tell students to save to the network drive all the time, wish I'd remembered my own advice.

10:03 PM, January 28, 2008  
Blogger Barry said...

I've done this myself, a number of times. The good news is that it is not necessarily lost, as there is some sort of /local/temp file in which such things are kept - invisible to the normal user, but findable by those who know the secret ways of Microsoft.

4:54 AM, January 31, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Not sure about that, Barry. I don't know if I overwrote what I'd saved by reopening the attachement through my email to try and see where it saves or if auto deletes like I suspect. I'm using a new email program and don't know all of its quirks. Maybe it could've been salvaged if I hadn't blundered blindly.

3:09 PM, January 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home