Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Not Paid Enough

I'm still in training. It got pushed back a couple of weeks due to inclement weather so I'm still going to be scarce.

Remember my post mentioning something I'm not paid enough to do? Here is a quick list of several more I've discovered.

I'm not paid enough to:

1. Deal with vomit. Had a student regurgitate everything she'd eaten in a week onto the carpet of the second floor. I had to go down, cover it up, and rope off the area. Never want to do that again.

2. Catch small animals. Had a bat in a library classroom. (I know the IRONY! But seriously those suckers (heh) could have rabies. I ain't touching one. Imagine it: A vampire with rabies. Not good.) Luckily it wasn't flying around. A teaching assistant caught it, and I became the proud custodian of a bat in a box. Called UPD and gave it to them. They said they'd make sure it was cared for. UPD is pretty awesome sometimes.

3. Live in a hotel. The library may have paid for the room, but I don't like staying in a hotel. Due to the inclement weather, I've had to stay in a hotel for multiple nights instead of going home to my cozy bed. The hotel was not five star. The power went out one night, the cable was fritzy, I didn't get a smoking room, and why don't hotels supply hair conditioner anymore?

4. Tail thugs as they wander around the stacks. Three guys, who obviously weren't students, decided it'd be fun to just wander aimlessly around the building. We were packed due to midterms--a lot of laptops, I-pods, and wallets were just laying around. I spoke to the guys, and made my presence known and didn't let them out of my eyesight until they exited the building. I could've gotten a lot of other stuff done in the hour this took.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be dissin' bats now. There are more varieties of bats than any other mammal, and only a couple include animal blood in their diet. Most are vegetarians or bug-eaters, and wouldn't bite unless provoked. Glad to hear the fine furry one was captured alive. Hopefully it was released and will live to consume untold numbers of insects that vex humans.

10:30 AM, March 07, 2007  
Blogger flexnib said...

You had to cover the chunder up? I suppose it would have been worse if you'd had to clean it up as well... I would have been sick, too, if I'd had to clean it up - is that grounds for being excused from such a revolting job?

2:46 AM, March 14, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Yes, I covered it up. And no, I am not ALLOWED to touch it, which is a rule that I am very happy about. Unfortunately, the stuff had to stay there four hours before the cleaning crew could deal with it.

5:34 PM, March 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for reminding me how happy I am that I no longer have to work with the public. I'm much happier sitting in my office in front of a computer, virtually never seeing "the public" - especially now that I work at a system instead of an actual library.

8:46 AM, March 15, 2007  
Blogger tiny robot said...

I had a friendly bat encounter a few weeks ago on a long Sunday reference shift. Little fella flew around and around the Ref collection so I called Physical Plant. A guy came out with a net, but the bat had either hidden himself or somehow left the building, as there was no sign of him.

3:13 PM, March 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home