Tuesday, January 16, 2007

5 Things

I've been tagged by Library Mistress. (1/29/07 ETA: Oops, it seems I was tagged twice. The Cool Librarian tagged me way back on Dec.26. I was deep into vacation then and completely missed it. But thanks for the tag, Jessica! Sorry, I didn't link to you earlier.)

I have to divulge 5 things that blog readers don't know about me.

Well, the obvious things to divulge would be "My name is...Library X is actually...University Z is really...", but that doesn't come to 5 things, and I want to keep my job.

So here's some other stuff that won't get me fired, and look there's a theme!

1. When I was a teen, I went through a pagan faze: Studied witchcraft, performed rituals, crafted some spells; until it freaked me out. That shit works! But not usually how you expect...hence my no longer performing witchcraft. Let's just say there was a banish water spell to quell local flooding and severe dehydration instead. (Somebody didn't put down her protective circle like she was supposed to.)

2. We had a real pet cemetery incident growing up. Here's the story: My parents got word from some neighbors that our cat Bandit was dead on the side of the road. My dad retrieved Bandit and buried him. He told me and my brother that night what happened to Bandit. We were, of course, upset by the news. Bandit was a beloved cat, barely out of kittenhood. We went to bed that night and the next morning, woke up to the sound of hijinks in the living room. Mom gave yell for Dad. We all went out, and there was Bandit playing with our dog. And get this: He was covered in red mud. Dad couldn't explain it. He definitely buried the cat. The cat was definitely dead. The cat was definitely Bandit. But there was Bandit in desperate need of a bath, frisky as ever, and hungry. To add to the eeriness, nobody had let Bandit into the house that morning. He just appeared. We couldn't figure it out. Dad wouldn't tell us where he'd buried Bandit, and he refused to go check the spot himself to see if there was a cat corpse there. Bandit lived for a few more years after that and then just disappeared. We don't know what happened to him. No other pets we've buried have ever returned.

3. I have a lot of nightmares. I'm talking trapped in a horror film nightmares. My biggest fear is supernatural possession. Whenever it happens in a nightmare, I'm freaked out for a long time afterward. I refuse to make too much of it though. I do watch a lot of horror movies. And plus, who wouldn't be afraid of being possessed by a demon, ghost, or Richard Simmons?

4. I think I saw a ghost once. I was young. I woke up in my bed and saw an old man sitting at the end of it, wearing an overcoat and fedora. It felt like he'd been speaking to me for a long time, but all I can remember him saying to me was, "I'll see you again." Then he disappeared. I was terrified. I contemplated going to my parents bedroom to hide, but didn't think they'd believe me and make me go back to my room anyway. I haven't seen the man again, and I know it very well could've just been a dream, but it stayed with me, and Lord help me if the guy ever reappears. Don't know who he was. Just know he was dead.

5. On my last birthday, I went to a funeral. It was for a cousin. It was sad.

All right, there are my five things.

Consider yourself tagged: Happy Villain, Feel-good Librarian, Lisa K., Juice, Dances With Books.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Happy Villain said...

Okay, those were all fascinating things, but I swear my heart stopped dead when I saw you tagged me. Thanks... I think. ;)

1:43 AM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger libwitch said...

As far as point #1 goes....well, I never ever do weather spells for a reason. They carry a karmic kickback. Mother nature does not like to be told what to do.

12:55 PM, January 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting list.

I have seen a ghost. I think it was my grandmother, but I'm not sure. She died long before I was born.

We've also had a cat ghost. When our black cat dropped dead one day, she refused to leave. Her ghost wandered around the house for a few weeks and then suddenly disappeared.

5:36 PM, January 24, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

6. I also had a pet haunt me, I think. It was a parakeet. After he passed, I heard him chirping in his usual spot in my room for months afterward. Didn't bother me. He was a good bird. Named him Freddie after Freddie Krueger for his razor sharp beak and talons. So the haunting seemed appropriate.

7:14 PM, January 24, 2007  
Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Hi Vampire Librarian,

I have my MLS and and am now working in a different field altogether.

Every once in a while I miss being a librarian--definitely not the patrons, more the books and the access (ILL) that you have to follow your curiosity.

Strange that when I got my MLS one of the things I assumed was that now that I was a "Professional" I wouldn't need to work about working "night shifts."

Thank you more than I can tell you for relieving me of any homesickness for my former profession.

Peeing in the urinals, working overnight shifts (which ruined my health back when I did that pre-MLS)...thanks for letting me see what I'm (NOT) missing these days!

Take care. Perhaps someday some changes will come to libraries to make librarians and libraries be treated with the respect they deserve.

Moo!

12:50 PM, January 25, 2007  
Blogger Spike said...

Brilliant back from the dead thing.

9:13 PM, January 25, 2007  
Blogger Library Mistress said...

thanks for responding to my "tagging" - I was not sure if you would ever discover my post ;-)

11:07 AM, January 29, 2007  
Blogger CluckyRN said...

Blame the Cow, she dragged me here..NOT. I tagged you too ~:>

As a nurse, I have seen more divine (and otherwise) phenomena (sp?) than I will ever tell. They hang around...really. It's cool.

Love your blog..I am reading backwards and still have almost a year to go. Great, now I have a new blog addiction!

I do frequent the library-not too glamorous with our teeny town population of 2K. 2 weeks ago it was 8 gardening books. Last week, it was Hannibal Rising. *sigh*

12:13 AM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger jess said...

No worries about me tagging you!

OMG, the cat story is fabulous. I absolutely believe in cat ghosts.

11:16 AM, February 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not knowing your family dynamics, when I read the ghost cat story, I immediately thought that your Dad might have done something to the cat (e.g., dropped him off in the middle of nowhere hoping he wouldn't come back) and said that it was dead instead. That your Dad wouldn't tell you where the cat was buried nor would go see it only makes me more suspicious. But again, I wasn't there, I'm just extrapolating from what you have written.

2:06 PM, October 20, 2008  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Anon, Dad loved that cat. Bandit was a sweetheart. He and my mom have three cats right now. Two moved in with them on their own because my parents treated them so well. In the story, I think it was a case of mistaken identity, but who can say? Thanks for stopping by.

9:12 AM, October 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home