Sunday, January 07, 2007

No, We Don't Own That

(Happy New Year Everybody!)

Student called to ask if we had a DVD that he wanted. He said he'd searched the catalog, but our catalog sucked and would I look it up for him. I bit my tongue to keep from telling him that maybe his search terms sucked.

"Okay, what's the title?"

"UHF."

I type in the title and restrict to visual materials. Nothing with that title appears.

"I'm sorry, but it appears we don't own it."

"Are you sure? I think it would be something the library should own."

I double check. Still nothing. I wonder if maybe the student has the title wrong.

"Can you tell me more about the movie? Who's in it? What's it about?"

"It stars Weird Al Yankovic. I searched under his name, but found nothing."

In my head, I respond, "Thank God," and then, "What's the proper way to search for 'Weird Al' Yankovic?" (And the answer is: Yankovic, Al)

"I'm sorry, but the library doesn't own it. You can submit a purchase request."

"Huh, yeah, I really think the library should own it."

I think, "Why?????"

"Okay, do you know how to make a purchase request?"

"Yeah, I've done it before. Thanks."

"No problem. Bye."

God, the thought that this movie could be entering our collection scares me. I mean we already have The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (Thanks to Kyle). I think we've reached our craptastic limit.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you actually ever watched the movie? It's great!

12:21 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Spike said...

Great or craptastic, it's not really an academic library sorta item.

4:05 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Spike said...

P.S. Javva good Chrissy, Vamp?

4:06 AM, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Garbage Pail kids Movie?

I'd think UHF was Oscar-worthy in comparison (though, to be fair, I haven't seen either one).

8:41 AM, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd agree that it's not an academic library movie unless you have a film school--but it was actually quite a good movie, with some hilarious sendups of secondary-TV-channel shows. And, by the way, Conan the Librarian was part of UHF.

1:26 PM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

I knew there were a lot of fans for this movie. I just am not one of them. Sorry for calling it craptastic. I have watched it, and did not like it. I am not a Weird Al fan. But still, why does Library X HAVE to own this?

There's actually scarier stuff in our collection. _Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter_ springs to mind. I have no idea who requested it or why.

I'll retract the craptastic comment for UHF but double it for Garbage Pail Kids.

4:50 PM, January 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter?

THAT I have to see!

4:58 PM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Kathy said...

My question tonight is (and it's been the exact same question all night -- 20 times):

"Do you have such-and-such a textbook?"
"No, we don't carry textbooks but I'll check to see if we might have been given a copy or if it's on reserve. No, we don't have it."
"Are you sure? Will you look it up by the author?" Like I didn't already do that just to be double sure, but I do it again.
"No, we don't have that book."
"But my professor wants us to have it for our class."
"I'm sorry, but we don't have it and your professor didn't put it on reserve."

8:56 PM, January 09, 2007  
Blogger Spike said...

Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter? Talk about your cross-genre fillums. That takes the biscuit.

10:12 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger tiny robot said...

JC Vampire Hunter is quite the B-movie fun-ride! That aside, I think popular movies are perfectly acceptable in an academic collection for many reasons, one being the study of film and/or popular culture and the other--free movie rentals for the weekend. I find our students like the fact that we not only offer them scholarly resources but also "fun" stuff to relax with. Think of it as a little good-natured PR for the library.

As for textbooks, I don't know of any library that collects them. They'd "disappear" two seconds after they were shelved anyway.

10:02 AM, January 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home