Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Where's the Bathroom?

I've been catching up on my Blogline subscriptions and reading the responses to the WSJ article "In the Fray: Should Libraries' Target Audience Be Cheapskates With Mass-Market Tastes?" by John J. Miller published January 3, 2007. All the flaws in this article have already been highlighted and excellently stated, so that leaves me with only Library X stuff to rant about.

What do I have to rant about?

Public urination.

That's right. Peeing in places other than bathrooms is what we're currently dealing with at Library X. Sometime in the past couple of days, somebody took a leak in a trashcan on the main floor. How this got by staff, I don't know. We had closed the public restrooms on the main floor until further notice due to continuous vandalism, so somebody peed in a trashcan. Before you ask, we still have bathrooms open to the public. They are on the lower floors. They're accessible by stairs and elevators. The Out-of-Order signs on the main floor bathrooms direct patrons to these lower bathrooms, but still somebody decided to pee in a trashcan.

The reason we closed the public restrooms on the main floor was because someone was maliciously clogging them with toilet paper. It was happening several times a week. These bathrooms are single unisex bathrooms without drains in the floor. The clogging of the toilets often resulted in the floor flooding and the toilet water seeping into the carpet outside the restrooms. The area permanently smells like pee.

I now have to check the trashcans to see if there's human waste in them. I am SO not paid enough for this shit, and I make that statement quite literally. I am not paid enough to go looking for shit, piss, or used tampons. I demand a raise.

In happier news, Stupid Crazy Woman is BANNED from campus! Don't know what she finally did to get the cops to ban her, but I'm glad she's gone. She'd been back to Library X and talked to several desk students and told them crazy stuff. Twice she claimed be to in the Witness Protection Program, and she claimed to be secretly employed by the University as "clandestine faculty".

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clandestine faculty? WTF is THAT supposed to be? lol.

Sorry about the pee issue - I know that in my previous part-time job in a public library that such issues (not yours specifically, but similar...elimination issues cropped up occasionally. One good thing about being part-time...I could always pass that stuff on to someone else.

I'm SO glad that I'm free from dealing with the public in my new job.

10:50 PM, January 11, 2007  
Blogger Spike said...

What Arkham said about the clandestine faculty.

And you so don't have to take that shit. WTF were they thinking?

10:09 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

Hmmm... I like the idea of a clandestine faculty. More in fiction than real life, mind.

2:11 PM, January 21, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I work in an undergraduate library, too. I have a weekend shift, and all the weird stuff seems to happen while I'm there, so I can relate. Someone peed in the elevator not too long ago. It was carpeted, and now it's not. The smell didn't linger after it was cleaned, but the stain did. Yich.

11:03 AM, January 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home