Sunday, September 16, 2007

Tough Reference Question

I was walking by the circulation desk when I overhead a co-worker say this into the circ phone, "Um, find shelter?"

I turned to a nearby student assistant. "Are we under a tornado watch? What's going on?"

My co-worker heard me, sort of sputtered, and waved at me to go away. I went to my computer to check noaa.org. There was no tornado watch.

Once my co-worker was off the phone, I asked him about the phone call.

ME: What's going on? Are we in imminent danger?

CW: No, a resident advisor wanted to know what to do if it began raining during the first-year's tour of the libraries. I couldn't think of anything not snarky to say. I almost said, 'Ever heard of an umbrella?'

ME: So you told him to find shelter?

CW: Well, how else was I supposed to answer the question? What does he do when it's raining and he has to go to class?

ME: Skip.

CW: Obviously.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skipping? Gene Kelley might suggest singing.

7:53 PM, September 17, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

BWAH!

8:39 PM, September 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I officially have Debbie Reynolds in my head.

4:48 PM, September 18, 2007  
Blogger Holley T said...

that ranks right up there with "Do you work here?" as you sit behind the desk, with your name tag on, typing on the computer...

"No, I don't work here. The librarian is bound and gagged under the desk while we burgle the safe...", I think to myself as loudly as possible.
htw

4:35 PM, September 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home