Monday, September 10, 2007

Getting Around Campus

Students find all sorts of ways to get around: walking, buses, bikes, cars, skateboards, mopeds.

But unicycles? I have seen three students so far riding these things around campus. Did I miss that latest trend report? I guess it's a way to get noticed, but I haven't seen anything that relates why they might be better than bikes or other traditional transportation. I guess unicycles would be less appealing to thieves, especially those that like to make their getaway on their stolen goods, but other than novelty and exercise, I don't see any appeal. I mean there are tons of enthusiasts, and I bet they enjoy using their unicycles everyday, but the practical benefits are escaping me. Anyone care to enlighten me?

And while bikes are not allowed in Library X, I'm not sure if unicycles would be okay. I've let the skateboarders bring their boards in as long as they carry the boards everywhere in the library. No tricks allowed inside. But unicycles?

Unicycle resources:
http://www.unicycling.org/
CBS Video on unicycling.
http://www.unicycle.com/

3 Comments:

Blogger libwitch said...

I have been seeing unicyclists on our campus for a year or more. I find it odd.

I would say if you have rule on bikes and skateboards, then just say no wheels (except for wheelchairs). And that way you can exclude any damn student who comes in wearing heelies, too.

3:46 PM, September 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in college, the guy who lived in the dorm room above me had a unicycle, which he rode around campus in a Scottish kilt. He also played the bagpipes at 2:00 a.m. He also had stilts. He is now in the circus. Really, he is. The students you're seeing are just prepping for their future careers!

11:10 PM, September 11, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Sarah,

I'm waiting for the day the students start rolling in on heelies. I'm hoping that day is a decade away.

(another) Sarah,

I'm glad your dorm neighbor found a place to belong. What I want to know is if the guy was really Scottish under that kilt, and how exactly that worked out on a unicyle. Or maybe I don't. He never asked you to carry his unicyle did he? Come to think of it, touching a person's uncycle could be really personal--Scottish or not...

4:29 AM, September 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home