Monday, September 03, 2007

PSA for Students #10

Don't quit before the first day of work!

This is really annoying the shit out of me. I've had several students back out of jobs after I've interviewed, fixed schedules, submitted paperwork, and you know made freaking plans. I had one back out 2 HOURS before he was supposed to start work. Just emailed and said, "Thanks! But I got a job at another library. Bye!"

Several people have suggested I should tell the other library what this particular student did, but I'm not sure if they're being serious. I mean it's something I would totally do, but I've gotten in trouble before when I made a fuss about stuff concerning student workers.

From now on, when I hire students, I'm making them sign in blood.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to two weeks notice?

4:47 AM, September 03, 2007  
Blogger Holley T said...

We had an employee who worked for one hour, pulled her cart back into the circ workroom and told the dept head to consider it volunteer time, she was outta there! I had to snicker...people think this is such a fluff job...
htw

8:26 PM, September 04, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Wow, I'm surprised she was willing to give up the pay. But I wish more people would try to do our job to understand how much crap we put up with. The whole, "Oh, you get to read all day?" response makes me want to gauge their eyes out with a date stamp.

1:29 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i think requiring signatures in blood is *completely* reasonable.

3:07 PM, September 05, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

BabelBabe, I've put a purchase request in for finger sticks.

4:27 PM, September 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home