Monday, September 18, 2006

What Does It Buddhist Mean?

I've been looking at this flyer every time I've gone to the bathroom, and it really disturbs me.

BAR NIGHT

STUDENTS FOR
STUDENTS
INTERNATIONAL

TUESDAY
SEPTEMBER 19TH
BUDDHIST

TO SUPPORT
WORLD POVERTY
AWARENESS

For a moment, I thought the flyer was a clever bunch of haikus, but the syllables are all off so no luck there. (But a flyer comprised totally of haikus would be awesome.)

I think it's advertising some sort of drinking fundraiser, but where, at what time, and why the random insertion of the word Buddhist? Do you have to be enlightened to know? Or if you are a true Buddhist will the where and what time be inconsequential since the fund raiser is everywhere and nowhere/now and never and eternally?

And how will getting drunk raise awareness for world poverty?

Inquiring minds, or at least snarky vampire librarians, want to know!

For those of you interested, here is the standard letter grading for this flyer:

See the Sign: A - It's inside the stall at eye level when sitting on the throne. Cannot be missed.

Read the Sign: A - Letters are all in caps in an easily readable font.

Believe the Sign: D - Don't know what the hell is going on. Do you have to go through a heavy regime of fasting and meditation to understand?

Do What the Sign Freaking Says: F - What am I supposed to freaking do????

Overall Grade: D - Better luck next time guys.

I finally took the flyer down so I wouldn't have to look at it anymore. It's just that distressing, or I'm that high strung, whichever.

But in honor of this flyer, I'm gonna start randomly inserting the word Buddhist into my posts.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger tiny robot said...

Buddhist, not Buddhist... if there's drinking involved, I'm there.

10:43 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

And Blogger is being really weird with me. It didn't want to keep any of my hard returns. I had to go in and manually put < br / > in and now all the line breaks look like one and a half line breaks.

And Tiny robot, wow, quick on the commenting gun aren't you?

10:46 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Blogger's post editor is being REALLY frustrating tonight.

And Tiny Robot, where is 'there'?

11:49 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger tiny robot said...

I was hoping you could tell me. :-)

It appears my small campus is seemingly free of Buddhists (teetotalers or otherwise). It also lacks close proximity to any bars; however, if I see a flyer or hear of anything, I'll send along an invitation.

9:34 AM, September 19, 2006  
Blogger Librarian Girl said...

The buddhist thing is the least of the confusion on this sign. Like, what is Students FOR students international? So students who are for themselves? Or is it non-international students that are FOR international students? Or is it just students in general for students in general, but this is all going on internationally?

And are they raising money to help end world poverty? Or only to make sure people are aware of world poverty? And really, aren't most people aware that there is world poverty?

Obviously, I would have taken that sign down too.

12:18 PM, September 20, 2006  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Well....Buddhist is in the time and date haiku-like space. Could Buddhist be the name of a bar? or the venue for the fundraiser???

The modern world is very confusing.

6:44 AM, March 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since our future depends on a moral
codex, it's a thing, I don't know, if I can fail to mention to you, & whose most 'positive ↔ implications' ARE welcome to be taken into any necessary account = a welldeserved alternative to that money ideal, so that I can more easily find out & give you an explanation, as you deserve & want it for, how our future might & has to work out.
Greet's, inventor-
11@hotmail.com.

8:56 PM, October 29, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Wow, somebody's hooked on Babelfish.

9:49 PM, November 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home