Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Eye Infections

I mentioned in the comments to this post that wearing contacts at the library has in the past resulted in chronic eye infections.

Over my break, I got new disposable contacts, and now I have a lovely eye infection again. What is the deal? I like wearing contacts, but not when I look like I have a pair of stop lights for eyes.

I wash my hands constantly. I use the Purell. I don't think I touch my eyes more at work. I do fool with my eyes more due to taking in and out my contacts, but why do I keep getting these infections?

No one else at Library X seems to get eye infections, but I don't think many people here wear contacts. It's either glasses or nothing. I wish I knew what I was doing to cause this. My doc just shrugged his shoulders when I asked him.

Has anyone else had this problem?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is actually the students you have to worry about. Eye infections (at least pink eye) are pretty common. My sister got one within a week of moving into her dorm.

10:44 PM, September 13, 2006  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Thanks for your comment, Anon. I must be getting it from the students, but wish I knew how. Hope your sister is doing okay.

11:07 PM, September 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wear contacts, and my optometrist once told me that Purell isn't enough. It just sterilizes the dirt on your hands. Use good ol' soap and water before you touch your eyes (or any other body part).

9:32 AM, September 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! She got meds and she is fine. I didn't mean to sound like a creepy lurker, I love your blog but don't have an account at this site.

11:09 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Librarian Girl said...

I wonder if it has anything to do with eye movement? Like if you stare at a computer for too long, and you're not blinking/hydrating your eyes as much as is necessary. My eye doctor told me that eye-dryness is very individual- some people can tolerate it more and some people can't. *shrug*

3:29 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

It is a mystery. I'm beginning to think the medication is irritating my eyes.

To 1st Anon, didn't think you were creepy lurker. Thanks for your comments!

librarian girl, I got eye drops for dryness, but contacts may be making me rub my eyes and causing me to catch the infections. Plus the air in our library is atrociuos.

7:10 PM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Thank you, Bob. All very good tips.

I will hopefully be able to wear contacts in a few days. I will definitely keep my eyes 'watered'.

12:07 AM, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home