Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Promotional Material

Everyone advertises. Everyone. Libraries do too. You'd think we wouldn't have to because hey, we're libraries. We're here for the people. We offer free services. We aren't trying to make money. We just want to help people. You'd think that would be enough to get people in the door, but advertising and promotion still happens.

What's appropriate/good promotion of a library? Bookmarks with library information. Pencils and pens are nice too. Magnets to go on the fridge to pin up due dates. Calendars or planners with library events listed in them. Tote bags to carry books. All excellent promotional material.

What does my library have made up to promote us?

Whistles.

I am not kidding. When I came in tonight, I had two on my desk waiting for me. At first, I thought they were just general promotion material for the university, but 'Library' is very clearly printed underneath the university name. Why is the library giving out whistles? Who thought this was a good way to promote the library? What the heck is going on?

I'm not saying whistles are bad promotional material, but it would have been far more appropriate for say UPD to give these out than us.

I mean, when it comes to promotional material, shouldn't you give out an item you would actually want your customer/patron to have when he/she visits your location? I don't know about you, but arming a bunch of undergrads with whistles and letting them loose in the stacks seems like a very bad idea.

But all that aside, I am wearing the whistle. My co-vampire Laura laughed and asked me why I was bothering. I grinned at her and said, "You never know. The phone might ring."

3 Comments:

Blogger Spike said...

ROFL. Nutty.

3:41 PM, September 14, 2005  
Blogger Snooze said...

That is seriously mental.

4:35 PM, September 14, 2005  
Blogger Kathy said...

Whistles? Whistles? I can't get over that -- that's nuts. I know I always associate my whistle with the library.

7:23 PM, September 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home