Friday, March 18, 2005

Vampire Librarian’s Vampire Book Recommendations

Here are some Vamp book recommendations. I'll probably do a movie one in the future.

Good YA Vamp Books

Companions of the Night - A sharp story. Characters are believable and not sugar coated.

Silver Kiss - heartbreaking romance for the teens.

Darkangel Trilogy - Is set in a fantasy world, and the vamp isn't of the Dracula mold. He's got a dozen black wings.

Classics

I Am Legend - A great apocalyptic vision.

Dracula - Forget the films, the book has some honestly chilling passages. I thought the ship captain's log was especially chilling also read the criticism to get an in depth understanding of the horror.

Modern Novels

Sabella or The Blood Stone - A novella that's out of print. A vampire story set in the distant future on Mars. Lee also has a vampire series, but I've only read Personal Darkness, which is the 2nd in the series and unlike Hamilton and Harris, you really need to read the first book to get the 2nd, at least that's what I'm assuming.

Interview with the Vampire / The Vampire Lestat - Was a large component that started the vampire craze. The first two in the series are worth reading. The rest, well, if you really like Lestat then you're welcome to read more. Louis sadly falls by the wayside.

Guilty Pleasures - This first book in the Anita Blake series and possibly the next two are worth reading for the supernatural detective element. It becomes a tawdry sex opera after that.

Midnight Blue: The Sonja Blue Collection - Violence is a part of the vampire myth that gets forgotten a lot. Sonja Blue is here to remind you. A Dozen Black Roses isn't as good as this collected trilogy. Mainly b/c Collins puts Blue in an RPG world that doesn't mesh with what she's already created also she doesn't address any of the things left unexplored in the previous books.

Dead Until Dark - Does the Anita Blake thing with rural Southern flair. Sookie's a likable character. The series is ongoing. Hasn't degenerated quite as badly as Hamilton's series, but Sookie's man troubles are starting to mount up, and my interest is starting to wane. If the next novel doesn't focus on Sookie and her brother (a possible new were), I'm writing the series off. Update: It looks like it will.

Don't agree? Got a vamp novel you like? Tell me about it.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can u not love the Dead until Dark Series? I mean come on it so totally pays for itself!!!!!!!!! Also everyone WITH GOOD TASTE should read the Undead And Unwed Series!!!!!!!!!
P.S.Darren Shan's book's r tight!!

1:42 PM, May 21, 2005  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

I still 'like' Dead Until Dark. I plan to pick up the latest in the series soon, but you have to admit the last book was a little weak. Eric's amnesia and then not remembering anything of his time while he had amnesia smacked of artifice. The only way Harris could redeem herself would be if Eric was lieing about not remembering his actions while he had amnesia.

I have not read any of the Undead and Unwed series. I have heard of it, but haven't had a chance to pick up the first in the series.

I had not heard of Darren Shan. I will check out Cirque du Freak sometime soon.

7:03 PM, May 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should read Tanith Lee

12:45 PM, October 08, 2005  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Um, anon, I have read Tanith Lee. LOTS of Tanith Lee. I recc'ed one of her books. Did you see it? Generally, I enjoy her earier work. Birthgrave, Electric Forest, Don't Bite the Sun, The Book of Paradys, The Flat Earth Series.

I wish she wrote more Sci-Fi. I reccently read the sequel to Silver Metal Lover - Metallic Love and was blown away by it.

1:31 AM, October 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read one recently that I fell in love with. It was kind of vampire fiction meets a historical romance. Apparently it's going to be a series. It's called The Wages of Sin by Jenna Maclaine (author's website has some exceprts at www.jennamaclaine.com). I liked it like I liked the early Hamilton books. Definitely worth checking out.

Margaret H.

11:59 AM, February 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you read jr wards black dagger brotherhood series, it's awesome. She is such a good author

1:13 PM, September 25, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Thanks for the rec. Anonymous. I will give them a try if I get a chance.

9:43 PM, September 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read all of the above books. Thanks for the GREAT recs. Try Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith. She's GOOD. and the Night World series by the same author. You can download it free in Limewire with a bit of hard searching. But its worth it.

10:20 PM, December 19, 2007  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

Hi Fen,

I've read the Forbidden Games trilogy and the first in the Night World series and just didn't get into her. So many people had raved about the FG trio that I forced myself to read all 3 books, and still don't get why it was so great. I haven't tried Vampire Diaries. Who knows maybe those will be ones to make me an L.J. Smith convert. Thanks for mentioning them.

4:07 AM, December 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Christine Feehan and Sherrilyn Kenyon? Even Christian Dodd (normally a straightforward romance author) has a shapeshifter series.

1:23 PM, November 12, 2008  
Anonymous kitsunegaara@yahoo.com said...

"Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith" is most definetely one of my favorite books. I want to give you a brief overview of the book, but without giving too much away. Basically, this girl named Miranda gets turned into a vampire, or "eternal" and her guardian angel, Zachary will do anything to redeem her. Kinda surprising ending. AMAZING book. and each chapter is alternating between the two characters perspectives. Check it out. :)

10:44 AM, October 17, 2009  
Blogger Rosmarinus said...

Hello

Try Tanya Huff's Blood Books. Those are GREAT, even more if you like a the a little bit of detective novels. She is a excellent writter.

Hope you enjoy

Rosmarinus

12:10 AM, December 21, 2009  
Blogger Vampire Librarian said...

I'm so glad people have rec'd other great vamp books. Thank you all.

Some of the books -

Huff- I read the first 2 or 3 in that series and remember really liking them. I don't remember why I didn't finsih them. It was so long ago, the series may not have been completely published. I think I own the first 1 or 2. I should dig them out and read again.

J.R. Ward - this series is absolutely ridiculous and absolutely addictive. It's so bad it's good. I felt dirty after reading the first one and still sought out the rest to devour.

And I've been watching the Vampire Diaries on TV and loving it.

11:19 AM, December 22, 2009  
Blogger Rosmarinus said...

No, thank you from posting the recommendations and leaving a open window so peple can recommend more :D

I'm on a crusade now, I'm looking for some good vampire books. I grow up reading Anne Rice and I miss her so much...

I'm going to read those, don't care how bad they are, I probably had read some worst just for fun...

When I find more I will post a comment :D

11:55 AM, December 22, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot help but love the Anita Blake series even with all the kinky stuff. the writing and the rest of the story certainly makes up for the overzealous sex. however, i have just found a series simular to Laurell k. Hamilton's, and even though i have only read the firsty book, i think i am in love. the book is touch the dark by karen chance, and i look foreward to reading the next book. i also recomend keri arthur's riely jenkins series and pattricia brigg's mercy thomson series. enjoy.

4:53 PM, May 05, 2010  
Blogger Twilight2000 said...

VL, Your comments on Blake exactly line up with mine :>. I'm looking for more YA stuff for my almost-15 year old - we've done Schrieber-Vamp Kisses;Mancuso-Boys that Bite; Mead-Vamp Acadamy; and she's about to tackle the Marked series as well as a few other stray books/trilogies. Any other recommendations? Urban Fantasy seems to be the key here... I've heard Tanith Lee wrote some good vampire novels - what do you think? Anything newer too?

Thanks for any input!
Twilight2000 (from the RPG, not the sparkly-vamps ;>)

3:50 AM, June 21, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home