Sunday, January 15, 2006

Stakeout in the Library

This probably shouldn't make me giggle so much, but UPD has asked Library X's permission to put a plain clothes officer in the library to watch a bike rack that's been stolen from chronically. The bike rack is right across from a window in our library, but the window is not in a public area. The officer will set up at the window and watch the bikes.

This is actually a pretty involved sting operation (giggle). There will be an officer inside our library and another officer outside the next door building in radio contact to run interception when the would be thieves strike.

Don't get me wrong. I feel bad for all the people who have had their bikes stolen, even though they could've prevented it more than likely if they'd used a bike lock (Yeah, those are the bikes being stolen. Amazing isn't it?), but we're gonna have an officer in here for two nights from 4pm-10pm watching the bike rack. I feel sorry for that officer. I hope he has an MP3 player or something to entertain himself.

The sergeant that spoke to me made it clear that I should not rely on this officer if anything police worthy happens within the library. I'm to call 911 for a uniformed officer. I'm assuming if I had really urgent emergency this wouldn't be the case. I mean if I had a serious medical emergency or serious criminal activity, I could tear that officer away from his bike rack stakeout (Try saying that three times fast.) to assist me, but let's just hope that I don't have to test that theory.

Still, they want to do a bike rack stakeout from the library. It's just so precious.

3 Comments:

Blogger Happy Villain said...

Hilarious! You must live in a low crime area. We have to beg to get someone to respond to the gang graffiti, and they always say they'll do a stakeout of our bathrooms (how fun would that be!) to catch the taggers, but they never do.

9:20 PM, January 15, 2006  
Blogger MadameBoffin said...

LOL. Bring out the donuts *tehee* It sounds like a pretty major sting - maybe bike thefts are more serious than we thought ;)

12:01 AM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Spike said...

Set up a webcam! There may be hilarious Chaplin-style bicycle chase scenes to be blogged :)

6:28 PM, January 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home