Thursday, June 29, 2006

Kids These Days - Summer Edition II

I have decided that I will not have kids because I don't want to inflict them on some poor unsuspecting library.

Called the cops tonight to deal with a boy who has given us so much grief that everyone knows him, yet he maintains every time that we speak to him that he does not know the rules. It was a particularly brazen lie tonight because just LAST NIGHT the cops had been called on him and his friends at the large research library when they were asked to leave and the kids said they would not and proceeded to cuss out the staff.

He and his friends came in tonight. They had 'supervision' tonight in the form of a seventeen year old girl. This is the first time they have tried this. I decided to let them use the computers, but I told the seventeen year old that she was responsible for the kids. They had to stay with her, and she had to monitor their behavior. That went okay. When she left, the few girls still here, left with her.

It was later that this little boy came in. He skipped back to the bathrooms without an even by-your-leave. I let him go, but when he came out, he got on the elevator. I yelled out to him, "No, you are not allowed to go downstairs."

He was looking right at me as the doors slid shut while pressing an elevator button.

Unfortunately, I can't tell which floor the elevator goes to, so tracking him down would be difficult.

This young boy has been trouble a number of times. Every post I've written complaining about kids has included him, and I'm fed up with him. I called the cops. Hopefully he'd listen to them.

He did come back upstairs. When he tried to leave, I told him he had to wait for the police officer. He asked why. I told him, "Because hopefully you'll listen to him, since you will not listen to me."

He blew me off and left.

I followed him outside, but luckily the officer was walking up at the same time and stopped the boy. He sat him down, got the facts from me, and spoke to the boy. Hopefully it will sink into this child's head that he needs to listen to adults. The officer will call his parents, and hopefully they'll tell this kid to shape up.

I can almost guarantee that I will be seeing these kids again and they will cause me more grief. That seems to be their primary purpose.

The officer asked if I wanted him to issue a trespass warning. I held off making a decision, but I think I should say yes. These kids have caused us so many hours of grief that I'm tired of worrying about them. They don't need to come to Library X ever again. I certainly wouldn't miss them.

Sigh, it's a shame when a blog becomes a venting outlet, but there you go.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who has had more than his share of problem patrons (two incidents requiring police presence just yesterday), any time a cop offers to issue one of those trespass warnings, your answer should be yes. Don't let your sentimentality get to you. It's called letting them face the consequences.

11:56 AM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger MadameBoffin said...

I say ban his ass. The little blighter won't learn otherwise :P

1:35 AM, July 01, 2006  
Blogger Kathy said...

I agree with both dances with books and madameboffin. That kid lost the privilege of being allowed to use your library a long time ago.

12:46 PM, July 01, 2006  
Blogger Spike said...

I was in agreement. Blogger ate my comment.

7:47 PM, July 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home