I have to divulge 5 things that blog readers don't know about me.
Well, the obvious things to divulge would be "My name is...Library X is actually...University Z is really...", but that doesn't come to 5 things, and I want to keep my job.
So here's some other stuff that won't get me fired, and look there's a theme!
1. When I was a teen, I went through a pagan faze: Studied witchcraft, performed rituals, crafted some spells; until it freaked me out. That shit works! But not usually how you expect...hence my no longer performing witchcraft. Let's just say there was a banish water spell to quell local flooding and severe dehydration instead. (Somebody didn't put down her protective circle like she was supposed to.)
2. We had a real pet cemetery incident growing up. Here's the story: My parents got word from some neighbors that our cat Bandit was dead on the side of the road. My dad retrieved Bandit and buried him. He told me and my brother that night what happened to Bandit. We were, of course, upset by the news. Bandit was a beloved cat, barely out of kittenhood. We went to bed that night and the next morning, woke up to the sound of hijinks in the living room. Mom gave yell for Dad. We all went out, and there was Bandit playing with our dog. And get this: He was covered in red mud. Dad couldn't explain it. He definitely buried the cat. The cat was definitely dead. The cat was definitely Bandit. But there was Bandit in desperate need of a bath, frisky as ever, and hungry. To add to the eeriness, nobody had let Bandit into the house that morning. He just appeared. We couldn't figure it out. Dad wouldn't tell us where he'd buried Bandit, and he refused to go check the spot himself to see if there was a cat corpse there. Bandit lived for a few more years after that and then just disappeared. We don't know what happened to him. No other pets we've buried have ever returned.
3. I have a lot of nightmares. I'm talking trapped in a horror film nightmares. My biggest fear is supernatural possession. Whenever it happens in a nightmare, I'm freaked out for a long time afterward. I refuse to make too much of it though. I do watch a lot of horror movies. And plus, who wouldn't be afraid of being possessed by a demon, ghost, or Richard Simmons?
4. I think I saw a ghost once. I was young. I woke up in my bed and saw an old man sitting at the end of it, wearing an overcoat and fedora. It felt like he'd been speaking to me for a long time, but all I can remember him saying to me was, "I'll see you again." Then he disappeared. I was terrified. I contemplated going to my parents bedroom to hide, but didn't think they'd believe me and make me go back to my room anyway. I haven't seen the man again, and I know it very well could've just been a dream, but it stayed with me, and Lord help me if the guy ever reappears. Don't know who he was. Just know he was dead.
5. On my last birthday, I went to a funeral. It was for a cousin. It was sad.
All right, there are my five things.
Consider yourself tagged: Happy Villain, Feel-good Librarian, Lisa K., Juice, Dances With Books.